What January Taught Me

We all know that life doesn’t come with an instruction manual (wouldn’t it be so much easier if it did?!?), and well, I don’t know about you guys but I feel like I’m kind of winging this whole “life” situation, and just when I think I’ve gotten it nailed, I’ll learn a lesson (or be reminded of a lesson I’ve long since forgotten) that makes me realise there is still sooooooo much about life that I don’t know, some quite obvious things when I think about them!

Here are a few lessons that January taught me, and in one particular case (errr, number 5) reminded me of:

1.   That it’s OK to be vulnerable in front of people. I learnt that when I uploaded my 2017 Reflection post where I touched upon some of the difficulties I was having in dealing with/handling/coming to terms with grief.  

2.  That no one is going to work for, or reach, my goals but me. OK I already knew this but I had a lightbulb moment last month when this really hit home. 

3.   If you don’t ask you don’t get. I reached out to some girlfriends last month about an idea I had and I was surprised with the reaction and uptake. I thought everyone would say no; the reality was quite the opposite. 

4.   There really is beauty in the everyday if only I slow down enough to recognise and appreciate those moments of beauty: a lovely sunrise (on a rare day when there were no grey clouds in the sky), a beautiful view on my way to work of the sea against a pale blue and almost baby-pink sky. 

5.   Drinking on a school night never has been and never will be a good idea. Will I ever learn? 😊 (See number 2 below!) 

6.   The power of a compliment from a friend or loved one, or a smile and a “thank you” from the girl I held a door open for, can last all day. Manners are becoming a rarity these days, and so when a “youngster” (OK so this girl wasn’t young-young, just younger than me) smiled a proper smile at me, made eye contact and said, in a bubbly voice, “thanks” when I held a door open for her, it kind of made my day.

And here are a few things that I did that made me laugh at myself, raise my eyebrows and shake my head in disbelief, and ask myself “really???”

They might make you chuckle and feel less silly for any “laugh at yourself” moments you may have had last month:
1.  When I got out of the shower and smothered myself in Chanel No 5 “body lotion” only to realise, when I saw it wasn’t rubbing in as well as I thought it should for a smoothing body lotion, that it was actually shower crème….so it was back in the shower for me to rinse it all off! It took ages given the amount I had used. So much for self-care, LOL. 

2.  I was in the shop opposite my office one lunchtime, looking for food to cure my hangover, when I almost started talking to what turned out to be a cardboard cut-out of something or another (I’m not quite sure what it was), thinking it was the cashier calling me over to pay!

Do you fancy sharing the lessons you learnt last month? Or divulging your Laugh at Me moments? I’d love to hear from you 😊

Comments

  1. I wanted to thank you for this wonderful read!! I absolutely enjoyed every little bit of it.
    I've got you bookmarked to look at new things you post?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts